The Hall Stone Jewel

The Hall Stone Jewel and Pro Patria Lodge

Duke of ConaughtThis page explains how Pro Patria Lodge earned the honour of becoming a Hall Stone Lodge in all but a few months after our consecration.

In 1919 an Especial Meeting of the United Grand Lodge of England was held to celebrate peace, and was attended by a vast number of Brethren. The M.W. Grand Master the Duke of Connaught made his first appeal to the Craft. He asked for funds to provide a Masonic Peace Memorial worthy of the Craft; and the Masonic Million Memorial Fund was thus inaugurated. It was agreed that this memorial should be a building of a central home for Freemasonry on a site to be selected in London. The Masonic Million Memorial Fund was then launched in September that year and brethren both at home and overseas were invited to contribute to raise the £1000,000 needed to finance the work. Freemasons hallThe contributions from individuals and Lodges were to be recognised by the award of the Masonic Million Memorial Fund Commemorative Jewel. Contributions to this Fund were to be entirely voluntary and were to be recognised by special commemorative jewels.

WallMasters of lodges contributing an average of ten guineas (£10.50) per member would be awarded the commemorative jewel, such lodges would then be known as Hall Stone Lodges (thus giving the jewel its name) and their names and numbers were inscribed on commemorative marble panels in the main ceremonial entrance vestibule of Freemasons' Hall, London. An illustration and photo of the Jewel is found below. It is represented as a winged figure representing Peace, holding a Temple. On the sides are inscribed the dates of the Great War as a reminder of the supreme sacrifice made by 3,225 English Freemasons.

images copy.pngPro Patria Lodge distinguished itself in the first year of its existence by a notable effort in aid of the Masonic Million Memorial Fund. In ten months after our consecration Pro Patria Lodge became the first lodge in the Province of Worcestershire and only the fifth in England to qualify as a Hall Stone Lodge. No mean feat given the average weekly wage in 1921 was about £1.50. 

The Hall Stone Jewel worn by the Master of Pro Patria Lodge on all Masonic occasions is transferred to the new Worshipful Master of the Lodge as is the right of every Hall Stone Lodge during the Lodge’s Installation meeting.

The Jewel and light blue collaret has been proudly worn by successive Masters of the Lodge since that time. Later Grand Lodge permitted an embossed replica of the Hall Stone Jewel to feature in the printed summons and stationery of every Hall Stone Lodge. The image features prominently on our Summonses today and is the emblem found at the top of this webpage.

Hall Stone Jewel SmallThe Image to the left is a smaller version of the Hall Stone Jewel. This is appended to a dark blue ribbon and worn on the left breast as you would a medal. These smaller jewels were given to individual freemasons for their personal contribution to the fund and were inscribed on the back with their name and lodge number. One of our members many years ago donated his jewel to the lodge and passed it on to the brethren to wear each year. This became a lodge tradition. The Immediate Past Master of Pro Patria Lodge has the honour of wearing this smaller jewel for the year after his mastership of the lodge.


 Lodge Emblem

Banner Close-up

Our original lodge emblem features the three Armed Services of the age and is illustrated on our lodge banner. This is seldom used as the lodge adopted the Hall Stone Jewel as its emblem soon after becoming a Hall Stone Lodge; no doubt in honour of and with respect to the fallen comrades who served with our lodge founders during World War I. Our beautiful and intricate banner with the original emblem is still used today and is always displayed during our regular ceremonial meetings and is displayed in the lodge room on Ladies Evenings.

For brethren reading this article let me remind you there is an Address On Presentation Of The Hall Stone Jewel found in the Emulation Ritual book on page 279.


Completion of Freemasons Hall London


freemasons hall 3Building work on the Masonic Peace Memorial, as it was at first called - later to become known as Freemasons' Hall – had commenced in 1927 and was completed in 1933 when the Hall was dedicated.

At the June 1938 Quarterly Communication of Grand Lodge the Special Committee presented its final report recording that the building had been handed over to the Board of General Purposes free from debt and that well over £1000,000 had been subscribed to the Fund.The Fund itself was closed on the 31st December 1938.

Nine months later the world was once again thrown into another terrible conflagration as war broke out with Nazi Germany. This ultimately led to the building becoming known as Freemasons Hall.

The Memorial Shrine commemorates 
Memorialthe 3,225 brethren who died on active service in the First World War and in whose memory the building was raised. 
The theme of the stained glass memorial window is the attainment of Peace through Sacrifice, with the Angel of Peace carrying a model of the tower of the building. The bronze memorial casket was designed by Walter Gilbert (1871-1946), who also designed the Victoria Memorial facing Buckingham Palace. The casket contains the memorial roll, viewed through a glass aperture at the corner of which are gilt figures representing the fighting services.

 Adapted from the article dated 11/11/10 on the Lodge Room UK website and Pro Patria Lodge records.

 

countercountercountercountercountercounter